If you have a passion for customer service and enjoy a challenge then marketing may be an option for you.
Marketing encompasses a whole range of skills including; creativity, analytics, numerical, communications and many more.
Any marketing savvy person will tell you that no two working days are the same; it's a fast paced working environment which can be extremely rewarding. You may choose to specialise in a particular field such as; Digital, PR, Direct Marketing, or choose the option of being a good all-rounder encompassing all elements.
Want to be a marketer? 5 key tips to becoming a chameleon!.........
We asked local employer Dai Nicholas of Nicholas Marketing for the top 5 attributes a good marketer should have:
- Have a good grasp of the business your working in, understand all areas such as production, accounts, customer services and converse with senior managers at all levels ... make friends, educated decisions and don't work in isolation ... you know marketing is important, educate them and win them over!.
- Have helicopter vision and see the business roles and the way each customer facing and product enhancing elements contributes to the company brand perception and brand acceptance, understand what turns your customers on, ... realise the USP and promote it.
- Be able to research and view the business from the customer perspective and take the 'blinkers off' reporting a true reflection of the company to the key decision makers, don't let false vanity creep in ... take your customers for granted at your peril!
- Be able to look at the marketing strategically but have an in depth understanding of marketing communications and be able to work with online and off line media agencies and other creative elements ... guide their skills to project the right informed messages to your customers.
- Be multi skilled, have good anticipation skills and keep a good knowledge of industry trends affecting the business whilst always looking for continual professional development ... never stop being hungry ... or you die!
Dai Nicholas, Chartered Marketer, CIM, West Wales Manager, Venture Wales.